The Municipal Alliance Committee, also known as the "Ewing Drug/Alcohol Awareness Committee (EDAC)," was authorized in 1998 to identify the needs of the community with respect to alcoholism and drug prevention education and to implement and support programs consistent with the policies and procedures of the Governor's Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse. The committee is appointed by the Mayor, with the advice and consent of the Township Council.
The Committee consists of up to 20 regular members and associate members. Membership includes a broad representation from the Township and also includes the following official appointees:
- Member of the Township Council, appointed by the Township Council
- Township Health Official or designee
- Chief of Police or designee
- Municipal Court Judge or designee
- Township School District Superintendent or designee
- Private citizens and civic and business representatives. At least 50% of the members must be residents of the Township
- The Committee may retain a Coordinator and/or Prevention Specialist, who is a regular member, at a compensation to be provided by a professional services agreement as determined by Township Council
Officers of the Municipal Alliance Committee designate one of their members to serve as Chair and presiding officer and may also designate other officers as they deem necessary.
Committee to establish bylaws and keep minutes
The Municipal Alliance Committee established bylaws and keeps minutes of all Committee meetings. A quorum of the Committee is required for action to be taken by it; a quorum is 50% of the Committee membership plus one.
Sponsored Programs and Events
- Post Prom
This provides a substance free, after the prom event for all students and their guests. To get parents to pledge not to have prom parties with alcohol available.
- National Night Out
Disseminate prevention and educational materials to community.
- Sticker Shock
A program offered sporadically to reach adults who might purchase alcohol illegally and provide it to minors. Stickers warning about the penalties for furnishing alcohol to minors are placed on cases of alcohol beverages, as well as pizza boxes.
The Ewing Municipal Alliance also maintains an independent website at http://ewingdrugalliance.org.
The Ewing Municipal Alliance Committee meets on the 3rd Tuesdays of the month unless otherwise noted.
Location: Agenda Room, Ewing Municipal Building, 2 Jake Garzio Drive, 2nd floor
Time: 6:30 pm
Ewing Municipal Alliance Committee
Ewing Municipal Building
2 Jake Garzio Drive
Ewing, NJ 08628